Summary of the March 3-4, 2007 Work Session
a productive weekend: ten volunteers dove in head-first and
accomplished a great deal. Though we overslept and got a late start in
the morning, we made up for it by several of us working until 11:30 in
first of the new square shaft forgings to be machined. At
time the round shank has been cut to finished diameter, and the
previously roughed transition has been turned to a smooth radius, using
a home-made attachment for making cuts of this
nature (see next two photos). (Photo by Grady Smith).
tool for cutting the radius on the square shaft transition.
tool is rotated by hand to take a very small cut in each pass.
by Andy Fitzgibbon).
view of the radius cutting tool. The two wrenches are used to
allow smooth rotation of the tool. (Photo by Andy
on the new draw-bar pocket fabrication that will closely
duplicate one of the original casting that was evidently
destroyed in the smash-up of 1939 that wrecked many components
the tank frame and rear truck. (Photo by Grady
the draw-bar pocket being welded. The torch was used to heat
piece to reduce the liklihood of the large metal components warping
while they were being welded. (Photo by Richard Sparks).
The 16" radial arm
saw that was scavenged from a dumpster. (Photo by Andy
the seam between the coal bunker's trim strip and sheet metal .
This was done to seal the seam and prevent wather
(Photo by Walter Scriptunas, II).
The bulk of the lathe work on the first
was nearly finished: the shank has been finished to 4.5 inches
diameter, and the transition radius has been done as well. Also, the
end of the round shank has been rough turned to accept the horn
casting. If it were not for the fact that the hole in the horn casting
needs to be slightly bored to make it round (and truly measurable) this
task would have been completed as well.
Andy Fitzgibbon posted additional photos of the square shaft machining
on the PracticalMachinist.com
Changes to the rivets holding the
strip around the upper edge of the bunker have been completed. The
round head rivets showing to the outside were removed, and the rivet
heads were placed on the inside of the bunker, where they will not be
seen. The old rivets were removed, the outer ends of the holes
countersunk (shaped like a funnel), and the new rivets pounded into
these recesses. The excess rivet material was VERY carefully sanded
away, leaving a very clean look to the previously warty-looking trim
The top edge where the bunker plate and
strip join was then welded over to seal out water and coal slack, in
order to reduce corrosion. This weld was then sanded off smooth and
The sanding away of the excess rivet and
material was a very touchy job that required lots of patience, and
skill. The trick was to remove only material that was protruding above
the surface of the trim strip, not any of the trim strip itself. Heavy
handedness would have caused the contour of the trim strip proper to be
cut, and become wavy, which would show badly when painted.
very excellent job was done that will look nice when painted.
object to this project is to replace a pocket that was ruined in the
1939 rear-end collision that did much major frame and truck damage. The
trashed pocket was replaced by a casting that did not match the
remaining half of the set-up. Ultimately the mismatching of the pockets
caused a lot of erosion, over time, to the original factory unit (see
photos). The incorrect replacement has been put aside, and will be
replaced by our new fabrication.
project has been languishing for some time. due to the fact that we
have not had a welder that could concentrate on this project without
interruptions. The individual parts of the puzzle have been laying
around for months, but this weekend a welder appeared, unannounced,
just for a visit, and we put him to work, fed him, and gave him a place
to sleep. He had so much fun contributing to the joint effort of the
restoration that he has vowed to return in two weeks.
we took the locomotive apart, there was so much wear in the pockets,
draw-bar, and pins that there was six inches of slack in the assembly.
When rebuilt, the slop should be less than 3/4 inch.
16-inch DeWalt radial-arm saw was acquired from a dumpster. It was so
large and heavy that we had to retrieve it in sections, after taking it
apart in the dumpster. To our good fortune, it turned out not to have
been damaged when it fell into the dumpster. After a few hours of
inspection, cleaning, lubricating, and re-assembly the machine works
very nicely. It even runs! After sharpening the blade and constructing
a new work table, it will come in very handy in the cutting the deck
boards for covering the tank frame.
Work Party: March 17-18, 2007
Climax Restoration Project page
to the MSR&LHA
Page last updated or validated
on November 28, 2008
draw-bar pocket that the new fabrication is
Though not destroyed, this pocket was also cracked in the
of 1939, but went undetected until it was sent away for welding up of
some severely erroded areas. The shiny areas were built up,
ground to finish contour. (Photo by Grady Smith).
rivets on the coal bunker. Note that the rivets holding the
trim strip are set from the inside. The rivet bottoms were
countersunk and ground smooth to give the trim strip a more finished
look. (Photo by Richard Sparks).